Thursday, March 29, 2012

It's All Worthwhile

Last night I had one of those moments that make it all worthwhile. I dare say it was one of those happenings that really have an impact on you. It happened around ten pm...
Earl, Rob and I had just finished watching a Jazz game and I had gone to the kitchen to do the dishes I had left in the sink. I heard the phone ring and Earl answered it. He laughed and joked with the person on the other end of the line, and came walking in to the kitchen while still speaking.
He handed me the phone and I said, "Hello."
The voice at the other end was a familiar one. The voice was that of an individual with whom I have had many pleasant associations. The voice belonged to little Miss Sondi Maxfield...Butikofer. Sondi is the daughter of my dear friends, Rod and Gayla Maxfield. She was a mere child when we moved back to Woodland. Her little dark hair was naturally curly and she was freckle- faced with a little turned up nose. She always had a smile, but one could detect a bit of mischief bubbling up from within. She was cute as a button!
She was a wonderful dancer, singer and actress in every Primary play in which she, of course, was the star. She cooperated without hesitation and many times "got after" some of the other cast members who may not have been quite as sincere about the show as she was. As she grew older, again her talents and skills usually led to her being cast as the"lead" in the Roadshows for YM/YW.
Life happens and Sondi left for college....then she married...then she moved back "home," and because of her talents and abilities, she was the best elementary school teacher at South Summit. She had her first little baby and that little one so reminded me of her Mommie. She was bright eyed, eager, her eyes flashed with desire to get in and know what was happening. Then.....without much notice, Sondi moved away.
Much to my chagrin, in recent years, I have not been able to associate much with Sondi because of the geographical distance between us. When I do have the opportunity....that same old familiarity pours over me and the joy of her wit, charm, energy, creativity, talent and friendliness make it a sheer delight to spend time with her. She now has three beautiful daughters Kaylee, Sophie and Lexie (Lexie is a spitting image of her Mom and every bit as precocious) and one little big, hunk of a boy, Kaleb, who is very tender. Every time I see little Miss Sondi, I love her more.
The voice on the other end of the line was my little Miss Sondi....being little Miss Sondi. She thanked me for all those years ago and all the shows and dinners and fun we have had together. I am old now. Sondi is the age I was when she was growing up. The "It's all worthwhile" moment occurred when all those shows, dinners, events flashed through my mind and I thought to myself, "what a wonderful world."
Life is a circle that goes around and around....we see examples in our lives....for me...my own Mother, Elizabeth Lefler, Ardean Anderson, Bonita Atkinson, LaReta Van Tassell, Mrs. Knight, Dee Winterton...and many others. I feel so thankful for those who established traditions and showed me how to work and have fun and live the gospel. I try to emulate those examples. I am so thankful to be one of those who little Miss Sondi remembers and tries to emulate. The day will come when there will be a phone call at ten pm one random night, thanking her for her work and example, that will make all the years of her life feel very worthwhile.
Thanks to little Miss Sondi Maxfield for giving me an "It's All Worthwhile" moment!

4 comments:

Giselle Rasheta said...

How lucky that I should be on my blog tonight, trying to remember when we bought a car several years ago....otherwise I may have missed your post. You know I am out of the blogging loop these days!! It is all worthwhile. I'm so glad Sondi called you to express the sentiments that so many people share about you. Your talent for putting on a production or even just putting together an evening of Young Women's is rarely matched. You really do have a gift and an amazing willingness to give of yourself, your time, and your talent.

Billie Jo said...

You have always set a standard that is hard to compare... So many programs, concerts, and events have been developed thanks to you. I will never forget the Olympic celebration! That will go down as one of my favorites with fireworks on the football field in the snow! Once again so glad you have given me the base and foundation I need to make my name in life.

Polly said...

how nice for you to hear from someone you have had an impact on. when i hear about your events or shows i am amazed at how our lives have paralled each other. i remember a few productions we put together back in logan. i have been involved in some wonderful shows, with the help of my musical genius friend, Pat. They stand out for me. I wish I could have seen some of yours. We truly are alike in so many ways. i am sure you have touched inumerable lives with your talents.

The Gunnerson Family said...

Of course it is all worthwhile! I hope that you never question all of the time and engery that you put into all you do. It has lasting effects for so many. It is always nice to hear it from someone, though!