Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What do you do in the summertime?

I love my flowers. They are peace in my crazy, noisy world. Giselle asked me how I can stand to go out and pull weeds and do such boring work. Flowers are the prize for the work of weeding. Flowers are satisfaction, beauty and peace. These lupine have been moved all over... from my front yard to the side and now to the back. No matter where they bloom, they are beautiful!

My columbines like to relocate themselves. I did give these a little help from the front to the back. They jumped the flower bed in to to the driveway and I thought they deserved a more permanent place, so they got to move to the back of the house as well. They bloom wherever they are placed.

When I woke up the other morning, I rolled over in my bed and saw this. Earl's horse is a beautifully put together female American Quarter Horse (that no one can ride except Earl and the horse trainer). My Dad had little mininature ponies. I bought two of them from him and Earl was not very happy about it. He said I would never do anything with them. I haven't....as of yet....but maybe I will someday. For today, they just remind me of my Dad. The horse and the two ponies have become pretty good friends. They were all having an early morning nap and thoroughly enjoying the lush, green grass, the morning breeze and each other's company and I thought it was just cute!
Giselle went....oh, I don't know where she went....but she left Rajko with me. I was trying to work in my garden and he loves to throw rocks. I encouraged him to go throw the rocks in the driveway to avoid being hit in the head by his sailing rocks. Well, the short of a long story is that, while the cat's away...the mouse will play! Rajko began by throwing rocks in the mud puddles that had been created by the rain the night before. Soon, he was wading while throwing. Finally, he was just sitting right down in the puddle and truly having a good time. Any sensible grandma would have done the same as I did...let him play! I tried to get him in the bath before his Dad came home, but Noah actually caught us!
My little granddaughters are always the cutest, little Body Motion Dancers in the 4th of July Oakley parade. Tess and Ellie had both danced in Stadium of Fire on Saturday and got to see David Archuletta and Brad Paisely and the most spectacular fireworks ever! Ellie almost got past me before I could snap her picture.
Tess has turned in to such a grown up, long-legged beauty! She just has this deliciously natural tan skin and as the summer sun kisses it, she becomes golden!


Mia was rockin' it big time! She always obeys her teacher and does just what she is told to do.
Well, Noah was quite sad, although he really tried to be brave and tough about it....but his older brother got to go to Yellow Stone with the Gunnerson grandparents and he had to stay home. He came over while I was deadheading flowers. When he saw the lupine stalk, he asked if he could have it. He left temporarily, and when he came back, he had cut the stem and asked if I would wear the flower in my hair. How could I say no to such a galant young man!
Of course, every day we have to have "tramp time" with the sprinkler on underneath. The boys are on the tramp. they're off the tramp, they're on the tramp, etc., until they have worked up quite a thirst. Then they must go underneath the tramp for a drink from the sprinkler. I wonder if they even realize how much trust they have in me to kink the hose off so it is just the right drizzle to lean over and get a drink?
Even with the enclosure, "tramp time" tends to be a little dangerous! We still have boys bumping in to boys; boys falling head over heels and boys bawling for one reason or another. Grandma's famous saying, "Laughing leads to crying!"
After the boys think they are sufficiently frozen from running through the sprinkler, they have to have a dip in the old hot tub to be like Uncle Rob. Noah is actually the only one who gets in. Rajko, Jack and Eli all think it is too hot and pretty much spend their time just wading. Whatever, it makes for a pretty fun day.
Oh what do I do in the summertime...take a guess!

7 comments:

polly said...

your summertime sounds perfect, idealic, something out of a book. not planned just happens. i love the playtime in the mud. something i have always encouraged! your little ones will always remember the times spent with you in the summertime. I still cherish and remember my days at my grandmother's. Both lived close and had acres with vegetable gardens, cows, chickens and fruit trees, so I got a little of the country right here in the city. It was a wonderful childhood and I loved the time i spent with them. your grandchildren are truly blessed.

The Gunnerson Family said...

What fun those boys have while I am at work. That is the only thing that has made coming back to work bareable...knowing that my kids are being so well taken care of! Thank-you SOOO much for taking care of them and letting them enjoy a wonderful life of living and playing with cousins and grandparents. Just the way I was.

Pays said...

How much fun!!! It is so fun that they can all come to grandma's house and have such fun memories! I love it! And... to answer your question about pictures I would love to do your family pictures any time! Please call and we can figure something out! What lucky little boys to be able to have such a fun time- reminds me alot of my boys' grandma's house, I wonder why:)

Chelsea Johnson said...

I don't think you will be able to accomplish much this summer with us invading your house and yard all summer! The kids are SO blessed to have you!

polly said...

as to your question about the 24th.
We have Jim's family over to celebrate both the holiday and his dad's birthday - even tho his dad is gone, we still get together. Why? is there something you'd like to do? can we do it another day? Let me know.

Giselle Rasheta said...

Well...second time is a charm for this comment, I hope!! I absolutely love your yard and being able to be there everyday, soaking up the sun. The kids are in love with your yard, and they are so lucky to have a Grandma who spoiled and adores them. We all love you!

Billie Jo said...

Once again, you blog everything that I want to say. I love summer, I love your yard,and I love the kids getting together with Grandma. I covet the trees and creek each time I am there!